The sanctuary of Oropa is a Marian shrine - dedicated to the Black Madonna - located eight miles north of the town of Biella, about 1,200 meters above sea level, in a natural amphitheater of mountains surrounding the city below and are part of the Biella Alps .
The sanctuary covers more than a Sacro Monte (Holy Mount Oropa), the original church built on the basis of an ancient chapel and the present sanctuary itself with various facilities for the hospitality of the faithful and tourists.
Inside the sanctuary is also a meteorological observatory seismic founded in 1874 by the work of his father Francesco Denza Barnabite of Naples (1834-1894), also founder of the Royal Observatory Carlo Alberto of Moncalieri and the network of over three hundred observers in the Kingdom of 'Italy.
The observatory is part of Oropa forecast regional network of Piedmont and both regional and national seismic network.
From the shrine you can reach the refuge Savoy (c. 1900 m altitude) and from here, in minutes, Lake Mucrone on the homonymous mountain. Going even a cable car to get to the top of Mount Camino, about 2,400 meters above sea level.